For all the European kimono lovers and around the world!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in
Share | 

Make-Up Tutorial

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Komatsu2012
Minarai
Minarai

PostSubject: Make-Up Tutorial   Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:30 pm

Geiko Star I will be posting pictures of the process of making Caucasian features into Asian features
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Komatsu2012
Minarai
Minarai

PostSubject: Re: Make-Up Tutorial   Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:39 pm

2 images : the final step and the finished look in color
Star Sun

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr.B
Shikomi
Shikomi

PostSubject: Re: Make-Up Tutorial   Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:11 am

Its from My Geisha. That is one of my all time fav movies! Smile This reminds of of when I got my first katsura in the mail. The first thing I said when I saw my self in the mirror was " Oh my god I feel like Shirley McClain"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.kimono-san.com
Hasume
Maiko
Maiko

PostSubject: Makeup links   Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:51 pm

What an amazing tutorial. I would love to try this for some informal party! Geiko

When I dress in katsura and formal hikizuri, I have never attemped to try and "pass as a japanese woman." I have to wear corrective lenses to see, so colored contacts are prohibitively expensive...

The idea of attemping to change the shape of my eyes hadn't occured to me, mostly because none of the western women living in Japan, and working as Geiko and Geisha ever did this. I wonder why not? Perhaps they were asked by their Okaa-san not to, as their faces were part of their charm? Very western faces are not seen often in the Karyuukai, so perhaps this is something that might bring customers to their okiya?

I do not know. I have always used makeup to shape my eyes as Geiko do, with long lines of black to tilt up and down, pale pink to highlight certain curves and shadows against the stark white of the oshiroi, and of course the red to bring ones eyes and mouth out against the white. The effect achieved in the movie is very interesting! <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hasume
Maiko
Maiko

PostSubject: More images from "My Geisha"   Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:11 pm

I found a few more images from the movie, and of Ms. Maclaine before the transformation -- I thought I might share them here:

I love this last image, because you can really see the difference in style, dress, hair, makeup, everything that was done for this excellent movie "Geisha." Thank you for sharing these original links Komatsu-san!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Komatsu2012
Minarai
Minarai

PostSubject: Re: Make-Up Tutorial   Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:18 pm

Geiko
Yes indeed it is professional makeup tips from a friend of mine who used to do makeup on Broadway. I recently bought this movie so I will be able to watch it again. I saw it as a girl as my father was a Shirley McLaine fan as well as a geisha enthusiast. He was a big fan of Ichimaru and had all her records on the RCA Victor label.
I will be getting the prosthetic pieces if I can at a theatrical supply store in Manhattan. Will then try it myself. The tape used to pull the face back is uncomfortable as I worked with it in a drama club I was in doing costume and makeup .
Sun
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kimino
Eternal Maiko
Eternal Maiko

PostSubject: Re: Make-Up Tutorial   Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:59 pm

Hasume-san, thank you for the additional photos! Shirley has that cute face, perfect for geisha, I just love it Love love
I need to get the movie too and see for myself.

Komatsu-san, please show us the results when you try the makeup!

Minarai
Minarai

PostSubject: Re: Make-Up Tutorial   Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:23 pm

Geiko Will definitely try to post pix of the prosthetic pieces as well as the process. I have worn the tape as we had to practice on each other to learn how to apply it. I can tell you it is uncomfortable to wear for any length of time as well as quite a process to remove. Hopefully it has improved since the " old days ". Star

Geiko
I have been unable to get the eye prostethic so far. have been able to find the liquid latex and other supplies I will need to do this tutorial.

Love love

Geiko
I have made a document in regards to application of prosthetic pieces. As soon as I get the liquid latex I will attempt to make the partial facial appliance in the pictures up further
Sun

Last edited by Komatsu2012 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add photo)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Komatsu2012
Minarai
Minarai

PostSubject: Re: Make-Up Tutorial   Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:40 pm

Geiko Frank Westmore , of the Famous Westmore's of Hollywood, Master's of special effects make-up for all the major studios

Star Shown applying the prosthetic appliance and finishing touches for " My Geisha " on Shirley McLaine.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b488/Komatsu13/FRANKWESTMOREANDMYGEISHASHIRLEYMCLAINE_zps25d98220.jpg

Geiko Sun
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Make-Up Tutorial

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1